Tuesday, July 21, 2015

What to Wear in Japanese Schools

credit: http://vanceqberkowitzs.blogspot.jp/
In the pre-departure orientation before I came to Japan, the speaker heavily emphasized how the Japanese are very strict with overall appearance in the workplace. Hence, I was quite formal during my first months in Japan. I was always wearing suits and button-down shirts. My hair and face were always made up. I was even wearing pearl earrings. Then I noticed how I was even formal than the principal. I realized I was overdressed.

Perhaps, if I was working in a company, what I wore were just fine. But in the schools, I didn't need to be so formal all the time.

So if you're working or planning to work in Japanese schools, here's a more manageable guidelines: 

A. Hair
  • If you have long hair, always tie it in a pony tail. In schools, you will notice that all pony tails are not too low nor too high. The rule is to tie your hair as high as your ears. 
  • You can dye your hair 1 shade darker or lighter.   
  • For men, keep it short. 
B. Face
  • Light to no make-up for ladies. 
  • For men, no beard nor mustaches as much as possible.
C. Clothes for Ladies
  • You don't have to wear button-down shirts all the time. You can wear blouses and nice shirts. No sleeveless. 
  • Wear blouses with high necklines. The neckline should not be more than an inch lower from your collarbone.
  • You can wear other colors other than white, black or gray as long as it's not too loud. (In the orientation, the speaker repeatedly said to wear neutral colors. I like wearing pastel pinks and oranges. I thought I had to give them up but I started wearing them again after a few months in Japan.)
  • Always wear stockings if you're wearing a skirt. (I hate stockings so I don't wear skirts.)
  • Never wear jeans.
  • As much as possible, wear only a watch for accessories. If you're like me who can't live without earrings, choose small stud earrings. The rule is to keep your accessories as simple and as small as possible.
D. Clothes for Men
  • No need to wear button-down shirts all the time. Collared shirts are acceptable. 
  • Never wear jeans. 
  • Only watches are allowed as accessories. No piercings on any part of the body. 
E. Footwear
  • Wear any closed footwear. You'll change to your indoor shoes anyway so your outdoor shoes won't matter that much. 
  • Ladies, no need to drag you feet in high heels. 
  • Men, you can wear a decent pair of sneakers. 
F. Other Reminders
  • Hide your tattoos if you have any. 
  • Wear formal clothes if there are special events in school. 
  • Observe how other teachers dress and try to dress as formally or informally as they do.
There. It's not as formal as others may think. The Japanese school's demands on a teacher's appearance is just as reasonable as in other countries. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...