Tuesday, June 9, 2015

The Worst Student in Japan

credit: http://singleuserdash.joe.im/
Japanese students are pretty easy to deal with. 

Most of them are generally well-behaved. They follow school rules. They respect the teachers. They're organized. They're trained to do tons of homework. Even the few problem students are still manageable. 

However, there's one kind of Japanese student that I detest dealing with.  I personally call them the "silent *itch." 
This is how they are: 
  • In class, they're disturbingly quiet oozing with subtle arrogance. 
  • They're indifferent and rude. 
  • They don't know how to respond like normal humans do.  
  • They stare down at teachers.
  • They have no motivation to do anything in school. 
  • They don't try to understand the lessons. 
  • They use manipulation to get their way with teachers. 
  • They always wear poker faces.
  • If they're not wearing poker faces, they're wearing a mask all year round. If not a mask, they hide behind their long bangs. 
  • They're girls. 
  • They bully other girls. 
I know the human race is not perfect so I'm aware that mean people exist. I've also been teaching long enough to know that some students have bad and rude behavior. But what I really don't like about the "silent *itch" is her facade. She's trying to pass as a quiet girl when she's probably brewing with meanness inside.

A shy girl knows to say "Hi" in her quiet voice when you say "hello" to her. A silent *itch would pretend not to hear you with her poker face even when you're standing right in front of her. 

A shy girl would silently answer the worksheet or go find other shy girls during interview time. A silent *itch would look at the worksheet with disdain and wouldn't even try to write her name. She also would paint disdain on her face during interview time. 

A shy girl gives a small smile to something that amuse her. A silent *itch would pretend to find everything boring and keep her poker face on. 

A shy girl laughs at amusing things. A silent *itch makes fun of and hurt girls who make her feel insecure. 

I'd rather deal with someone who's outright rude, mean and disruptive. At least, I know what kind of person I'm dealing with. They're also brave enough to show who they are. But I find the the silent *itch sneaky with great superiority complex. 

So how do I deal with a silent *itch? I pointedly ignore them. I can't be bothered with this type of students. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...