Monday, May 11, 2015

An Overview of an ALT's Job

credits: http://www.lifeaftertheboe.com/
Most English-speaking foreigners I know are or were Assistant Language Teachers or ALT's. ALT's are foreign English teachers in Japanese public schools. This is the most common ticket of foreigners to live and work in Japan.

If you're planning to apply as an ALT in Japan, here are some truths about the job. Whether the following are good or bad is entirely up to your perspective.

1. ALT's are ASSISTANTS. 

An assistant's job in any field is to provide support to the main character. This is what basically being an ALT means. You have to provide support based on how the main teacher needs you. Some ALT's are needed to just repeat words in the classroom, like a tape recorder. Some ALT's are asked to come up with 5-10 minute warm-up or review games. Some ALT's are asked to think of games, make worksheets, sing songs and talk about their culture. Your task as an ALT depends largely on what the main teacher will ask you to do.

On my first weeks as an ALT, I had a hard time adjusting to the role of an assistant. Before coming to Japan, I was in control on my own classes. It took time for me to accept that I'm now just an assistant. I can make suggestions but it's the main teacher who will ultimately decide what I should do in the classroom.

2. ALT's teach with Japanese Teachers of English (JTE)

ALT's always teach with a Japanese teacher of English or JTE. The JTE's are the ones in charge of the class including the curriculum and tests. JTE's are usually helpful with translation and classroom discipline. Take note that I use the word 'usually.' Some JTE's will also help you to do role playing and demonstrations. In junior high school, the JTE's are more active in their role as an English teacher compared in elementary. Hence, ALT's in junior high school may only act as a "tape recorder"  or may only have 10-20 minutes of teaching time. 

Currently, I have 3 JTE's who ask me to teach for one whole period (50 minutes). Then I have 1 JTE who only asks me to prepare games or activities that will last for 10-20 minutes. The other one just asks me to be in the classroom for whatever purpose she needs me. Sometimes, I'd just read sentences from the texbook, do interview with the students or help in writing activities.

3. ALT's teach various levels. 

ALT's usually have classes from 5th grade in elementary to 3rd year in junior high school. That's 5 various levels. A few ALT's are only assigned in elementary or only in junior high school. Still, these ALT's have to teach various levels. I'm only assigned to teach in a junior high school but I teach all classes from 1st to 3rd year. 

4. ALTs meet each class once a week. 

Maybe you'd ask how is it possible for ALT's to teach various levels? The reason is ALT's only meet each class once a week. Let's take my case for example. In each year level, there are 7 classes. That's 21 classes in all. In a week, I have to meet each class which means I teach 4 different classes everyday. On Wednesdays, I have 5. In elementary, some ALT's are required to meet their classes at least 4 times in a semester. That's how infrequent ALT's see students.  

5. ALT's usually teach in different schools. 

Since ALT's only need to teach once a week in JHS and 4 times a semester in ES, it's common for ALT's to teach in various schools. Some schools are grouped according to area so an ALT may go to different schools around the same area. Some schools are grouped according to levels so an ALT may go to various elementary schools or various junior high schools. In my case, my school is a big junior high school so this is the only school I go to. Some ALT's like the variety and some don't. 

6. ALT's are not responsible for disciplining student behavior. 

This is the ideal classroon situation for ALT's- JTE and ALT team teach, ALT will have some games, JTE makes sure that all students participate. Classroom management is not part of an ALT's task. Ideally. Most of the JTE's I worked with are good with classroom management. I don't have to deal with misbehaving student. However, 1 or 2 of my JTE's are just poor in disciplining students. Technically, I can't do anything about these rowdy students. But somehow, ALT's like me have to find ways to impose discipline without overstepping boundaries.

7. ALT's are the only English speakers in the school. 

Imagine having 600 students and 40 colleagues and only you speak English. That's the situation of an ALT. The JTE's also speak English but it's very rare to find who really speaks English well. Some teachers can carry very basic conversations and some students will try to express a few words. But that's about it. ALT's have to find ways to communicate and to understand what's happening around them.


In a nutshell, an ALT needs to deal with different levels, different schools, different classes, different JTE's but with limited control and limited communication. If you're planning to be an ALT, you need to be as flexible as possible. It's the key to survive and enjoy the job. 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...