Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Thoughts on Teaching (Random Ramblings on my Free Time)

credit: http://www.cafepress.com/+teacher+stationery

You know what's the most challenging job in the world?

It's being a classroom teacher.

Now before you roll your eyes and think that this another ''We are so proud to be teachers,''post, I'm telling you it's not.

I will not tell you about how hard is lesson planning or checking stacks of papers or making worksheets or even preparing tests . Here's a harsh truth, if you're a teacher for more than 5 years and you still think these are hard, it's time to consider a new career. Seriously.

Anyway, what makes classroom teaching the most challenging job is...

...the number of students!

1 versus 100


credit: http://quotes-kid.com/teaching-quotes-tumblr.htm
Doctors and lawyers may have a handful of cases but they deal with their clients one by one. Sales people also deal with customers one by one. Even call center agents whose supposed to have a time limit or something in handling calls, talk to customers one by one. People don't crowd over on waiters, cashiers, masseuse, stylists and all other service-oriented jobs. They serve people one at a time. ONE BY ONE.

On the other hand, classroom teachers have to deal with students ALL AT THE SAME TIME. Let's take an average classroom with 30 students. Imagine having to make sure that everybody learns. everybody participates and nobody cries. And you have to this to all your 30 students. Now we're just talking about 1 class here. Most teachers have about 3 to 4 classes in a day. With 30 students. So 30 x 4 = 120. That's 120 students to deal with everyday, 5 times a week.

Not only do we deal with students. Classroom teachers also have to deal with the parents of those 120 students. If all students have a father and a mother, that's 240 more people to deal with. How do teachers survive this?

Show Me The Money!

If teachers are only paid like salespeople, lawyers and doctors, we should be richer than them.

I have an idea that I'll seriously promote. Schools should pay teachers by commission. Schools should give at least 10 percent of a student's tuition fee to teachers. Let's say a student pays 40,000 PHP a year for tuition. The teacher would get 4,000 per student. If a teacher teaches 120 students that's about ....ummm... (getting my calculator)

....480,000 a year! That's 40,000 a month. Not bad. This is for private schools.

For Philippine public schools, the equation will be very simple: Give back our money, you corrupt politicians!

Why won't schools implement this kind of salary system?

I don't know, either it's not feasible or the people on top want to keep the money for themselves. Schools are still business enterprises. Also, a lot of parents look at the school facilities rather than the quality of teachers. Hence, schools spend a lot buying this and that and building this and that. Instead of paying the teachers, they pay this and that. Whoever This and That are, are lucky.

We Are Soldiers


credit: www.pinterest.com

I'm sure that most teachers started in the field with really high aspirations. They want to influence and mold the younger generation. They want to inspire the youth. Blah, blah, blah. They resolve they'd be great teachers.

Then reality hits: Teaching is not only about how well you can plan your activities or how creative your materials are. It's not only about the theories you learned in the university. Actually, half of the things you learn in the university won't matter much in the classroom.

The reality is this: A classroom teacher needs the training of a soldier on foot. The classroom is a battlefield. Don't be fooled by those sweet smiles your students give you. I'm not saying they're enemies. But you need the alertness of a soldier and the mind of a tactician to control them. And this reality kills or diminishes a teacher's passion. We're trained as teachers but the classroom is a battlefield. Then we're not paid like regular soldiers are. Some schools don't even provide assistants. So, teachers are basically alone in the battlefield. I don't blame those who go AWOL. I'm so tempted to do this myself.

I don't know how classroom teachers last in their careers. I don't understand too why I'm still teaching. Maybe teachers have a secret self-destructive tendencies. Or maybe we've been brainwashed effectively by society calling teachers noble, selfless and other lofty adjectives. The truth is, I don't feel noble or selfless as a teacher most of the time. I'm tired after a day's work. I don't want to see my students on weekends. I want to have more vacations. I don't want to do overtime. And sometimes, I just want to send away some students in a land far away. Like in the moon, maybe. (But well, thank you for thinking we're noble and selfless.)

A Random Conclusion 

credit: http://funtooo.com/category/kids/page/3/
I don't know how to integrate these thoughts to my post so I'll just enumerate them.

For Teachers: Get a life! I swear. I'm sure you love your job but go live another life. Pursue a hobby, join a club, go out on dates and do other things aside from teaching. You don't need to do overtime and bring your work on weekends. Teaching is still an 8 to 5 job. Teachers who do other things are more creative.

For Parents: If you have complaints against your children's teachers, there are other schools out there. I'm not saying this sarcastically. I'm providing you a solution. Sometimes, it's a matter of compatibility.

For Students: Don't be assholes. Seriously. I'm saying the A-word. I'd understand students who are hyperactive, talkative, angsty and dramatic. But mean and rude? No. Students who hurt others whether physically or verbally are assholes. (Yes, I said that word again!) Thank the good teachers. Forgive the lousy ones. They're people too. If you don't want to go to school, get out and work.

For Those in Position: Reward your teachers right. It's not just money, you know. Professional training and advancement are more than helpful. Less paperwork is also a great relief. Invest in your teachers if you want your schools to prosper.

For Myself: Shut up for now. You said a lot of things. And please do other things aside from teaching.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...