Thursday, April 2, 2015

Nabana no Sato: Illumination and Loneliness


Displaying IMG_0377.JPG
Dusk at Nabana no Sato, Mie
In spring, Japan's covered in flowers. In summer, fireworks are exploding everywhere. In autumn, bursts of oranges and magentas are all over the place. In winter, romantic tiny lights illuminate various places.

Winter's over in most part of Japan but one of the grandest illuminations in the country lasts until March 31st. It's the illumination in Nabana no Sato. Nabana no Sato is a big flower garden.  I've been wanting to see this illumination in my previous winters here but for one reason or another, I didn't. I resolved that whatever happens, I'll see this illumination this year- even if I go alone. I tried inviting some people but they couldn't be bothered to go all the way there. (I do really need friends!)


How Going to Nabana no Sato Made me Sad


Going there, I took the local train from Nagoya to Kuwana. Then from Kuwana, I transferred to Kentetsu Line going to Nagashima. From Nagashima, there's a bus especially bound for Nabana no Sato. Fare is 270 Yen. 

As I've mentioned in my post on Odaiba, I hit the road for a week going all over Japan. Nabana no Sato is the third place on my list. Nabana no Sato is located in Kuwana, Mie. It's less than an hour away from Nagoya Station-either by bus or train. 

As I was in line waiting for the bus, I observed that I was the only person who's alone. Most of the people in line have a partner with their arms linked together. Some are groups of friends and families chatting and laughing. A feeling of sadness started to grow in me. I didn't feel sad in the past days when I started travelling on my own. But in this bus stop, loneliness came knocking. The contrast of me being alone has never been as stark as I was on that stop.

How I Got Sadder in Nabana no Sato


lighted cherry blossom trees at Nabana no Sato
Soon the bus arrived and we were swept away to Nabana no Sato. It's a 30-minute bus ride. I arrived at about 5 pm. I went to the ticket gate and paid 2100 YEN. Here's a great thing about this place: Your payment includes a 1000 Yen worth of consumables. You can use it in one of the restaurants inside Nabana no Sato.

My timing of visiting the place was just perfect. The cherry blossoms and tulips have just bloomed. Flowers are scattered everywhere giving a fairytale quality to the place. It was just past 5 when I got inside so the illumination isn't lighted yet. I decided to find a restaurant and have an early dinner.

There were several restaurants in the area- there's a beer garden, a Japanese restaurant, a Chinese and an Italian place. I chose Italian which I regretted. All of the lines in these food places are long. It took about 20 minutes before I was seated. I regretted going to this place for two reasons: First, the food wasn't good value for money. I had a salad and a pizza for 1350. The pizza was paper thin, I was still hungry after I've eaten it. The second reason was, the place was full of couples- wrinkled and not wrinkled. I ate dinner by myself while I'm surrounded by all these couples with smiling eyes. It made me want to scream, ''Why did I go here again?!!!''

pond at Nabana no Sato
I started exploring the garden after dinner. It was dusk, the lights are already on. The place was getting chilly too, I should have worn something warmer. I only have a sweater. A coat would have made things more comfortable. Arms around my shoulder would have been the perfect source of warmth. It was already spring when I visited, it must have been freezing in winter.

I went near the pond, took some pictures. I asked a woman to take a picture of me. She was kind enough to oblige. Then I walked under the lighted cherry blossoms, took some pictures again while trying to ignore the couples who seem to multiply as the clock ticks by. A sense of sadness was already gnawing at me by this time. I started missing my boyfriend. (Geez! Don't tell him.)

After half an hour of walking, taking pictures and just basking in my sadness, I finally came across the tunnel of lights. It was stunning! And I really wished my boyfriend was with me, holding my hand.

Tunnel of Lights at Nabana no Sato
The tunnel leads to the garden where the light show is. It was amazing and highly entertaining. If my boyfriend was with me, we would have watched it with my head resting on his shoulder. Or maybe not cause my head doesn't really reach his shoulder. Nonetheless,  we would have sighed in awe as if saying, ''This is life'' while we're holding each other's hands.  But he wasn't with me so I just stood, alone, among the dark sea of faces. I took pictures again before exiting through another lighted tunnel.

light show at Nabana no Sato
It was almost 8 pm when I finished touring the whole place. The illumination in Nabana no Sato was really lovely and worth seeing but I wouldn't recommend visiting it alone for sentimental people like me. I was impressed with the flowers and the lights but I felt sad. This must be what Adam might have felt without Eve. Honestly, I'm not usually this emotional but the whole ambiance of Nabana no Sato and the chill in the air scream of ROMANCE! ROMANCE! ROMANCE!

How I Had the Saddest Feeling when I Left Nabana no Sato

I took the bus going to Nagoya Station. The ride was longer, about 55 minutes. It was more convenient though than my earlier route. We were loaded off near Nagoya Station. There were no transfers.

As if to add salt to injury, a sad sad song was playing when I entered Nagoya Station. It was Home. The melody's sad, the lyrics are sad. I hate that song. When did Japan start playing Westlife? It goes something like this:

''Another summer day
Has come and gone away
In Paris and Rome
But I wanna go home

Maybe surrounded by 
A million people I
Still feel all alone, 
I just want to go home
Oh I miss you, you know.''

Why do I need to hear this song just when I'm feeling lower than low? It wasn't a summer day that passed and I wasn't in Paris or Rome but, but, but that's not the point. Another day has passed and I felt alone. ***cries inside***

I originally planned to stay overnight in Nagoya with a friend but I changed my plan in the last minute. The blues had got me and I need a good cry. I wouldn't be a great company. I headed home- my home in Hamamatsu. My head was filled with all the lovely lights I saw in Nabana no Sato but my heart had also a sad longing to be truly home. It's not just going back to the Philippines. I miss home- like the actual sense of belonging. ***sigh***

(I don't know how to end this post except to say I was really emotional on that day. But I'm okay now. I'm sane again. Yahoooo!!!)

Nabana no Sato illumination has just ended two days ago. The place is still worth visiting though for their beautiful tulips this spring. Lights will be on again starting Dec. 1, 2015 up to March 31, 2016. You have plenty of time to plan and maybe find a partner. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...