Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Guest Post: Staying in a Monastery in Japan

hiking trail at Trinity Benedictine Monastery (Fujimi City, Nagano)

This is a guest post from Anthony, an ALT  from Ibaraki Prefecture.
Visit his blog on Christian books at Wonder Workbench.

(Edited) 

I recently visited Trinity Benedictine monastery in Fujimi City, Nagano. It was my first time to visit a monastery and I was not really sure what to expect. I just want some peace and quiet. And what could be a better place than a monastery? 
I stayed there for five days. My days there started with a prayer service at 6:30 am followed by breakfast at 7:00. I also join morning prayer at 8:00. Then, I'm free the rest of the morning. I'll rejoin the monks for mass at noon to around 1:00 pm. Then, it's free time again until 5:00 pm for prayer. This is followed by dinner is at 6:00 pm and a night prayer at 7:00 pm. 

my room at the nmonastery


Actually, I did not have to participate in the monks' activities. It was a personal choice to attend the masses and prayer times. The masses are in Japanese but English materials are provided so I was able to follow along. My Japanese is very poor, but as a Catholic wanting to learn more about my faith, I still found it to be a worthwhile experience. A typical visitor to a monastery is usually a Christian but anyone of whatever faith is welcome. 

In between prayers and masses, I primarily spent my time in the library. The monastery has English books. As one may expect, the majority are Christian religious books. But there are books about other faiths as well. There is also a nice collection of travel related books. 

the monastery's library

Aside from reading. I also went for short hikes. The monastery has beautiful views of the Japanese Alps and Mt. Fuji perfect for leisure hikes. Other times, I was meditating or listening to peaceful music. 

The Japanese Alps from the Monastery
In the Benedictine tradition, reading and education is very important. I spent a few moments each day talking to some monks. I think that they are like deep wells to draw all sorts of useful advice and insights from. The monks are well equipped to engage in many different topics. You can even have some good philosophical conversations.

My stay in the monastery gave a whole new appreciation for those who choose this way of life. And I also did get the peace and quiet I wanted.

Fees:    6000 Yen/ day including three meals and beverages. (It's by far the best money I have ever spent.)

How to Get There: 

1. From Shinjuku, take the Azusa Express Train to Fujimi Station
2. From Fujimi Station, you can a taxi to the monastery. Just say "Be-ne-dic-to-kai" Estimated fare is JPY 1,000. 

This is the Map from Trinity Benedictine's Website: 



For more information, please check Trinity Benedictine Monastery's website

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...