Wednesday, November 26, 2014

What Flowers to Give?

One of my Business English classes ended last week. As a way of saying thank you, my students gave me a bouquet of assorted flowers. I don't know the names of the flowers; I just know they're beautiful. I received a few bouquets of flowers on my last day in my former school, too. The few schools I substituted during my first months here also gave me flowers. When I was a guest speaker in a community English class, I got flowers. I'd probably get flowers in March when I bid farewell to my current school.

In Japan, giving flowers is a customary way of showing professional appreciation.Giving flowers is not only for women. Schools and companies also give "flowers of appreciation" to male employees. Also, the more elaborate and more expensive the bouquet, the more it shows how appreciated you are. From the grapevine, the principal in my former school got a bouquet worth 20,000 Yen during his farewell party. (That's 10000 PHP or 200USD!) I find it quite extravagant. I'd prefer cash. (haha!) But well, that's their culture and that's how they say a big THANK YOU.

However, I recently learned that white flowers such as lilies, lotus flowers and camellias, are not supposed to be given in Japan. They're only given in funerals. Also, potted plants are not good gifts especially when visiting a sick person. It encourages sickness to "take roots."

Japan's not the only country with an interesting flower-giving-etiquette. Other countries also have do's and don'ts when it comes to flower giving. Did you know that yellow flowers indicate jealousy in Italy? Or that in Hungary, red roses are only given in funerals?

Here's a great illustration of Flower and Gift Giving Etiquette from Pro Flowers: 

Traveler's Gift-Giving Etiquette Around the World

Check out Pro Flowers site, it has great articles on flowers from gardening to using flowers for decor. I personally like their recent article for Christmas- How to Hang Garland: Step-by-Step Guide. It's helpful for those decking their houses this season.)

I never appreciated receiving flowers until I started getting them. At first, I thought what am I gonna do with them. I couldn't eat them. But when I put them in vase, my place seemed warmer and lovelier. There's something so heartwarming about flowers. Just like Ralph Waldo Emerson said "The world laughs in flowers."

Make someone smile- and laugh today-. Give some flowers!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...