Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Changing Schools in Japan

I'm changing schools next school year. Come April, I'll be teaching in a smaller Junior High School, one Elementary and the most challenging... (drumroll, please) Yochien or Kinder. Thanks to the Board of Education, I won't be able to see my current second years graduate next year from JHS. I have seen them grow from first years and it would be nice to be with them in their last year. *sniffs*


Hoping I'll be this happy next year and my students will be as cute
credit: http://imsofukui.blogspot.jp/

When I learned last Friday that I'll be changing schools, my first thought was why. Why did my current school decide to switch to a JET ALT? Why did they want me replaced? I may not be the number one ALT in Japan but, hey, I think I'm quite good. My company hasn't received any complaints from my school. The students have grown close to me. So why?

Since I'm curious and not at peace, I asked my boss why did the school change to JET. He said it wasn't personal. It's the BOE's decision, not the school. For some reason, the BOE switches from Interac to JET and vice-versa regularly. I shouldn't take it personally, he said. It's the system.

Teaching in Japan

I shouldn't really be surprised since even Japanese teachers change schools all the time. Unlike in other countries, public school teachers can only stay up to 5 years in one school and this is rare. One of my JTE's (Japanese Teachers of English) doesn't even know yet if she'll be staying or not. At least for me, I already know where I'm going.

For a culture that embraces familiarity and constancy, this constant changing of workplaces is quite unusual. As far as I know, it only happens in public school teaching. On the one hand, this practice discourages complacency. Teachers are forced to perpetually adapt and adjust to their work environment. However, it's also inconvenient. I know a couple of teachers who drive to work for an hour or more when there are other nearby schools.

Also, performance doesn't matter. Even if you're good, you can still be assigned to a "bad" school. This is what happened to my Tanto (teacher-in-charge) last year. He's currently in one of the notorious schools. He's a good teacher but he was still assigned there. He emailed me one time telling me how he misses his "peaceful" life at my current school. I feel bad for him.

I don't know if this practice of changing schools is good or bad. Just like any other thing I guess, it has its merits and demerits. As for me, I really feel bad not seeing the students graduate next year. But at the same time, I'm "invigorated" by the challenge of a new work environment and new student levels. I'm trying to take things positively. It's gonna be my last year in Japan. I'll make the most of it. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...