Friday, November 22, 2013

Surviving Winter in Japan

So it's almost winter again. The bone-chilling coldness is already in the air. I can't believe I can still go to school and cycle in this temperature. Actually, I can't believe that I survived the winter last year. Coming from a tropical country with an all-year summer temperature, I'm not looking forward to winter. All I can think about is how cold it is. Heck, all my conversations are all centered on how cold it is. And all I do is to make sure I won't die from "how cold it is."

Since this would be my second winter, I'd list down the things I learned from the first winter. As I mentioned, I came from a warm country so even living through the winter is a learning experience. What I learned are mostly things that the Japanese thankfully created to combat the coldness.

1. Hooray for Heattech! 
Unqilo HEATTECH review leggings, t-shirt, gloves, scarf, shorts, socks, neck warmer, leg and arm warmers - heat generating clothing for women
Heattech Clothing
photo credit: http://www.thestylishtraveler.com/2011/02/uniqlo-heattech-heat-generating-clothing/
Dressing up is a major task during winter. Layers of clothes need to be worn (and washed). For the first layer (the one touching the skin) there's what they call HEATTECH clothes. They have heattech long-sleeved shirts, heattech long underwears, heattech slacks and heattech stockings. I was skeptical when I first buy them last year. They seem so thin but boy, do they really work! I feel warmer and more comfortable. Even the heattech stockings do work. It's the reason how Japanese women can survive the winter wearing the shortest shorts.

Heattech clothings can be bought at Uniqlo and other stores.

2. Small things make a difference with KAIRO
Kairo in different sizes
photo credit: http://www.thejapanguy.com/how-to-stay-warm-during-a-japanese-winter-part-1-enter-the-kairo/
Last winter, I noticed how most students would jam their hands in their pockets. I thought it was to keep warm. I do that all the time though it's considered rude in the Japanese culture. I can't help it. My hands were freezing. Then the students showed me the "magic thing" nestling in their pocket. It's the Kairo! 

Kairo is just basically a disposable hot pack. It comes in various sizes and can even be bought at 100 Yen shops for about 10-20 pieces. You just place it in your pocket, hold it, touch it, squeeze it or whatever you want to do with it to feel warm. Just don't eat it, please. So during winter, buying Kairo packs has become a hobby.

3. Under the Kotatsu
Kotatsu
photo credit: http://www.hellotokyo.jp/2011/01/18/kotatsu-a-unique-electronic-heater-in-japan/
Because of the winter chill, I stay at home most of the time. I now understand why bears just want to hibernate during winter time. Only fools would want to subject themselves to this harsh weather.Humans, I think are not the smartest then. So anyway, one of the Japanese-ish things to use on winter is the kotatsu. It's a low table with a heater underneath so you can warm your feet and legs. It feels really comfortable that you wouldn't want to move. Place some food on the table along with your laptop then you'll the warmest winter day!

4. Time for Heater Fans and Humidifiers 
my 800 Yen heater
I don't have a kotatsu, sadly. What I do have is a heater. This is aside from the one in the airconditioner. I wasn't planning to buy one but my air conditioner does not reach the kitchen area. Instead of starving myself or just simple making myself unhealthy with prepacked food, I bought a heater with incandescent bulbs. For only 800 Yen from a recycle shop, I can be warm even in the kitchen or even when I do my thing in the toilet.

5. Thanks to the Warm Toilet Seat
toilet seat
photo credit: http://chuhichic.blogspot.jp/2009/04/japanese-loo-experience.html

For some reason, the coldest part of my apartment in winter is the toilet. It's almost a punishment to sit and do my daily body-detoxifying task. My bum burns from the cold. One of my friends showed how my sacrifices are worthless. My toilet bowl actually has a warmer if I've only pushed the right buttons. I can have warm seat and warm water. If you're toilet bowl does not have them, you can simply buy toilet seat cover and that would keep you warm.

I know I have no choice but to go through and survive winter. At least, I know better now even before the actual winter starts. I'm all ready!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...