Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Going Solo in Kyoto: Part 2- Reliving a Geisha at Inari Shrine

One of the best scenes in the movie Memoirs of a Geisha is when the young girl was running along a path in between numerous torii gates. It stood out on my mind because of the lovely cinematic effect with matching background music. That scene stirred a mixture of sadness and hope for me and I don't know exactly why. Maybe that scene was like the young girl's attempt to run for her innocence or reliving those times. So because of that movie scene, I promised myself I would visit that place when I get to Kyoto.

Sayuri running through the torii gates at Inari Shrine
photo credit: www.groovyjuvy.com

Inari Shrine is about 15 minutes away from Kyoto Station via the JR Nara Line. The fare is 140 Yen. The shrine is just across the station and lots of people visit that place. The entrance is marked with a big torii gate that it is impossible to get lost.

in front of the Main Gate
(thanks to a gaijin I had a full body picture)

This shrine is famous for its thousand torii gates that make a path on a mountain. Welcoming the guests on the big Main Gate are two large foxes with scary facial expressions.

"You can't get this key" said the fox.
I replied, "Fine, I'm not trying to!"

On the right side of the Main Gate's entrance, are two splitting torii paths which leads to the same area.

splitting torii gates at Inari Shrine

I didn't know before that the torii gates make a very long path. I also didn't know that there are several stops where you can head back. I just kept on walking until I realized I was tired and only a few people were walking with me. It was a two hour walk! It was worth it though. The mountain view and the unending red path made me feel I was in an unknown beautiful vacuum.

a man taking picture while I took a picture of him ^-^

After the unexpected hike, I am more than ready to have lunch and start the temple walk.






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...