Thursday, May 16, 2013

How to Renew Your Residence Card in Japan

So two weeks ago, I went to the Immigration Office to have my residence card renewed. Good thing that I did not wait for the last minute (like when my card will expire the day before) . It takes about two to three weeks before a new card can be released. Although I have never experienced my card being checked by the  police, I would still feel safer knowing I have an up-to-date card.

sample Residence Card in Japan

Here are the things I brought when I renewed my card.

1. Passport (Not expired of course)

2. 1 Passport-Sized Picture with focus on the head and shoulders. It shouldn't be more than 6 months.

3. Application Form for Extension of Stay. This can be downloaded or this can be filled up at the Immigration.

4. Residence Card.

5. Tax Certificate.The company I work for sent it to me last December.

6. Visa Sponsorship Letter or Certificate.

The process is fairly simple. Just prepare everything before coming to the immigration office. Submit all the documents. Once your name is called, you'll fill up a postcard that will be sent to you. This will serve as your notification when you need to return and get your new residence card.

(More on Living in Japan, here.)

Unless your application has problems, you'll be able to get your card within two to three weeks. I'm getting mine next week. Yey!





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...