Thursday, December 13, 2012

Tips on Establishing Rapport with Japanese CoWorkers

The vice-principal in my school told me yesterday that he would love to have me again as an ALT next year. It feels like he complimented me indirectly. I feel happy and greatly affirmed. How could I not when I heard a lot of horror stories from other ALT's in the area. The ALT before me was fired because the teachers find fault in her. So with the vice-principal telling me he wanted me for another year is really a great compliment.

Asians and Whites
photo credit: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/ssehs/news/2009/teacher-visits.html

The thing in working in Japanese schools is that I feel like I am always tiptoeing the line. I feel on guard for possible things or words that could offend my coworkers sensibilities. Just like any normal human being, I want them to like me. Without being a kiss-ass, I tried to think of ways to ingratiate myself in the school. 

1. I gave them chocolates on my first day. 

I like chocolates and I think most people like it. Chocolate is a safe first-day token. It's neutral and it makes people happy. Giving a token on your first day of work is like welcoming yourself to the school. All of the teachers appreciate it. Also, it is a good way to ask for their names and introduce yourself. This helps in making your presence known. 

2. I smile a lot especially on my first weeks. 

Japanese people like people who smile a lot, but not to the point of looking like a fool. Whenever I enter the staff room in the morning, I would put on a big smile and greet everyone cheerfully. I try to keep an open and approachable facial expression. I come to realize that me being able to speak in English overwhelms teachers who do not know how to. What they didn't know is that I also feel overwhelmed when they speak in Japanese. Good thing is that a smile is a universal language. 

3. I go to work early and do not hurry to go home. 

Japanese are known for their punctuality. To be on time in Japanese is to be 10 minutes earlier than the required time. So I am always early at work. Although they would say that you being late is okay, it really isn't. Also, I don't rush to go home. I don't pack my things before the official time ends. I try to linger for 10 to 15 minutes before saying goodbye. 

4. I try to find something to compliment about. 

I think all people likes to hear sincere compliments. Giving compliments can work wonders. There was a teacher in my school who doesn't smile. One time while we were changing to our indoor shoes, I complimented his new haircut which made him look younger. From then on, he smiles at me and tries to do small talk. Before coming to Japan, I am not really a "complimenting" type of person. But I think finding something good on another person does not only help in establishing rapport but also trains one's mind to positive thinking. 

5. I randomly ask questions or give comments 

Whenever there's a chance for me to talk to another teacher, I would usually grab it by saying something. Those somethings may sound insignificant but they helped me in having better relationship with the teachers/I would comment on the weather, on a teacher's advisory class, on a particular student, on what he/she is wearing. I would just say anything to ease awkward situations. 

With the few months I was here in Japan, I learned that a sunny disposition can overcome language barriers and cultural differences. Japanese also appreciate it when I try to communicate with them even if we don't fully understand each other. I learned that the effort itself is already a surefire thing to establish good working rapport with the Japanese teachers. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...