Thursday, December 6, 2012

Going to the Doctor in Japan

I did not go to school for two days due to stomach pains and diarrhea. It started early Monday morning . The stomach pain was bearable. I can still stand and walk. It was the accompanying diarrhea that I was worried about. I don't want to excuse myself every so often in class. It turned out that a lot of other foreign teachers in my company has the same problem.

I spent most of my time in the toilet on Monday morning. After lunch, I had a big bowel movement that seemed to flush out all the bacteria in my tummy. I felt relieved and well. After that big thing, my diarrhea stopped. I called the office to inform them that I can come to school the following Tuesday but the company told me I had to still see a doctor and get a health clearance. It seemed funny for me since people in my country only get health clearances when they are absent for 3 days or if they have contagious diseases. Diarrhea is pretty normal, I believe. As long as you keep yourself hydrated and it doesn't last for more than a day, it's not something to be really worried out. But again, it's different here in Japan. So with no choice, I went to see a doctor only to be told that I am well which I already know.

It was my first time to see a doctor but I'd like to share tidbits of info from my experience and from my fire

1. Any form of sickness, no matter how mild they may seem, is still sickness. So get your health clearance.
photo credit: http://texturastore.wordpress.com/

I got mild diarrhea and was okay after a couple of hours but I need to get doctor's clearance. Other ALT's have colds and cough which can be expected due to the temperature but they need to get doctor's clearance. My friend had a headache and she saw a doctor for clearance. In short, you have to see a doctor even if your sickness is quite common. This might sound like I am discounting the doctors' expertise. I do not. I am just used to self-medicating common ailments that I seldom see a doctor. But here, I have to see a doctor.

2. Japanese doctors seem hesitant to discuss with the patients.

There were three of us who went to the doctor. I had the diarrhea, the other two have fever. The doctor did not even use his stethoscope to check us. He stared at the form we filled up ask 1 or 2 questions and gave us some medications. The nurses did not get vital signs just check our temperatures. After the check-up, I don't feel satisfied with what I've paid. I felt that what the doctor said to me was just plain common sense. Even what he said to the other two were just so common. Just to share, the doctor said to one of them "If you still have fever, don't go to school. If you don't have, you can go." Even kids know this. I also have friends who think that going to doctors here in Japan is just a waste of time and money because they won't really talk to you.

3. Prescription drugs or medicines are cheaper. 


medicine
photo credit: http://blogs.wsj.com/venturecapital/2009/03/24/opening-japans-doors-to-western-medicine/

Here's one of the differences with Japan and the Philippines. In the Philippines, prescription drugs are more expensive than over the counter. Here in Japan, it's the opposite. Also the medicine the doctors will recommend will only lasts for a couple of days. The Japanese person who took us to the doctor told me that it's because long-term sickness is not very common in Japan.

I think it is also good to bring some medical supplies from your country. I brought some pain killers because a friend told me that Japanese pain killers are not really that effective.

4. Bring your health insurance card for discounts. 
Japanese health insurance card
photo credit: http://dental-japan.blogspot.jp/
This is common sense but I have had a friend who did not bring hers. Whenever you see a doctor, bring your health insurance card so your medical bills would be cut in half.

5. Don't get sick. Be healthy. 

Even in your country, it's not good to be sick. It's all the more difficult to be sick in a foreign country with language barriers. I would feel helpless if not for the Japanese staff who brought us. They don't have English forms. Even doctors don't know how to communicate in English. I can't even read the name of the medicine I'm supposed to buy. So, it's just so hard to be sick.

After the doctor gave me health clearance, I'm back to school and back to writing on this blog.





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...