Tuesday, December 11, 2012

For ALT's: Tips When Having Lunch with Japanese Students

Eating lunch with your Japanese students is a good way to establish rapport. Admittedly though, it took me sometime before I get the courage to eat with my students. I was a foreigner and most of them do not understand me. I didn't know how to go about it. But after sometime, I got the hang of it and enjoyed eating with them. Overtime, I also developed a style when eating with students to ensure that I will have a great time and that my students will have a great one too.
teacher eating lunch with students
PHOTO CREDIT: http://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photography-teacher-eating-lunch-his-students-image6081302

1. Start with the classes you like
Teachers aren't supposed to have favorites but it can't be helped. There are classes that I'm more comfortable with- nicer and livelier kids, friendlier teachers. Take advantage of this and start your first few lunches with the class you're comfortable with. Lunch will be a breeze.

2. Inform the class adviser at least a day before
Tell the Japanese class adviser that you want to eat with his class. Do this at least a day before. Japanese teachers somehow feel uneasy with ALT's due to language barrier. It's better that they are prepared with your coming to their class for lunch. You are like a house guest. It is better to turn up announced.

3. Use utensils that you're comfortable with
The company recommended that ALT's use chopsticks in school to show that we are willing to learn Japanese culture. I'm okay with using chopsticks but I am a bit slow when eating with it. I don't like to be left behind. As much as I want to please them, I use my spoon and fork and they don't really mind. Most of the students are actually amused to see someone eating with spoon and fork.

4. Be on time and go around the room during lunch preparation
The first 10 to 15 minutes of Japanese lunch is spent on getting and preparing the food. Be there during these first minutes because this is time when you can go around the room. Ask students questions and simply say "hello." These few minutes will set how warm the class will receive you.

Usually, I ask the if they are hungry or sometimes I would ask them to name the food being served, Then, I would ask them if they like the food. Welcome your students responses no matter how short they seem to be.

4. Ask simple questions while eating
I usually have 5 to 7 questions in mind while I eat with students. These questions prevent awkward silence. Japanese students generally panic when they learn that the ALT is dining with them making them quiet all the more. Usually, I ask what sports do they play, when's their birthday, who are their friends, if their adviser is good, if they have a girlfriend or boyfriend. Mildly tease the students to elicit smiles and laughters. More than 7 questions will prevent you and the students from eating. My goal is to have them giggle or laugh so they won't be too uneasy. There are also times when I ask them to teach me some Japanese words so they have something to say.

5. Thank the students and the class teacher
After the meal, thank the group of students you eat with then go to the teacher to also say thank you. Before you leave the class, say a loud thank you to everyone.

Always keep in mind that your purpose is to establish rapport and get to know the students better. So keep a relaxed attitude and shed some of your teacher's clothing.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...