Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Don't Burp, Just Fart: Table Manners in Japan

My friends and I were eating ramen when suddenly one of us burped. It wasn't a big one but loud enough for people beside us to hear. There were four people on the next table and they all glared at us. I can feel their eyes condemning us. One of my friends who has been living here for several years now quickly apologized and bowed to the people in the next table. The other customers tilted their heads and hurriedly finish their ramen. In less than 5 mninutes, they were gone.

Japanese eating ramen
photo credit: http://closetdomesticbunny.blogspot.jp/2012/02/nao-miso-ramen.html

I learned that night that Japanese has an aversion with burping. You can fart but never burp in the restaurant. My friend even told me that some customers would request that you leave the restaurant when you burped loudly. I find this insane since burping is natural when you eat a lot. I'd rather hear a burp than smell a fart while eating. Also, why would be burping impolite when Japanese slurp loudly on their food? My friend doesn't know the rationale. It's just the way things are. 

In Japan, here are also other things to observe when eating. 

1. Before eating Japanese say "Itadaikimasu" with palms together. They don't pray before eating. 

2. The more loudly you eat, the better. Eating sounds indicate appreciation for food. I personally find this gross but what can I do it's just the way things are. 

3. Finish everything served to you as much as possible. I know this sounds universal and not uniquely Japanese. However, it is rude not to eat everything on your plate even if you don't like it. If you don't like something on your platter, give it to someone who likes it before you take a bit out of it. 

4. Clean up when you eat out. In fast food such as Mc Donalds and Burger King, you have to clean your table and throw your trash before you leave. In restaurants, stack your plates together on the table and wipe stains that can be removed with napkins. 

5. End the meal with "Gochisou-sama" in the same way you started with "itadaikimasu."

Also don't ever burp!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...